Friday, June 17, 2011

The Dog That Got Hit Yells the Loudest

A gentleman I know told me the following story. When he was a little boy, he saw a dog get hit. It just dropped to the ground and it didn't move. A man in a truck pulled up and parked his car near the injured animal.



When he approached the dog and tried to touch the dog, the dog raised its head and snarled and growled. The dog was unable to move but it tried its best to protect itself. The man backed away from the dog and left the injured dog in the street.



The man returned from his truck with a blanket or covering. He placed the covering over the injured dog's body and head. He then proceeded to scoop up and gently lift up the dog into his arms. He carried the injured animal to his truck and drove away to get the dog help or treatment.



Some women were giving a presentation and I was in the audience. I could barely hear the current speaker. Therefore, I raised my hand and asked her if she could please speak up. I wanted to hear what she had to say and thus did not want to miss anything because she was speaking too low.



She was quiet and she stared at me very hard for a few seconds. She rolled her eyes, exhaled sharply, turned away and then quickly repeated what she had just said. I was very confused by her reaction. It were as if I had bothered her.



Later, I overheard her conversation. She was stating that she found public speaking terrifying. I went over to her and said, "Oh, now I understand. When you were presenting and I asked you to speak louder, you seemed like you were angered and bothered by my request. Now I realize that you were afraid. By me asking you a question, that just made it worse for you."



She said, " I was so scared that I took three Zantex. I don't even remember you asking me that question."



This woman is by no means a dog. Yet, her situation is similar. With the dog, it was possible to see and know the dog was afraid and injured or in pain. It would have been inhumane for the gentleman who approached the dog to become angry at the animal when the dog snapped, snarled and growled.



People are the same way. Most people don't have injuries, pain or fear that we can see. Yet, it is there for so many. The next time you encounter someone who is growling and snarling at you and your good intentions, instead of backing away and getting in your truck and driving off, go back inside yourself and re-group. Then, come back out with a cloth or blanket or protection, the love you have for yourself, and approach that person again. That anger that you think you may be encountering may be someone's only form of protection.



You never know what is going on in people's lives. If you are conscious enough to have good intentions to want to help and be kind to others, then you are conscious enough to be the bigger person and extend yourself a little and give to that person with the invisible injury or pain.



Yes, it may be that the dog that got hit yells the loudest. Also know that many who are in pain can be the most quiet. Reserve your judgement. Suit up and arm yourselves so that you too can circle back and help, even if the injured party growled and snarled at you during the initial approach.



Offer kindness and understanding. Afterall, that's what a beautiful woman does. She reaches out to those around her whose need for understanding may be disguised as anger and pain. A comforting word is all someone may need. The power is in your hands to beautify their world just a little bit, bit by bit. In return, you will beautify your own.




















5 comments:

OrganicallyGrownCurls said...

Love post. Thank you for sharing.

Mizz Entice said...

This is beautiful. A lot of times we never understand the reason why people react as they do. There is always an underlying cause. Lovely post. Your blog is very intriguing.

http://mizzentice.blogspot.com

MizCreativelyMe said...

this so true ... great post!

Jae said...

Wow...I definitely needed to hear that today. I wish there was a way to share this on facebook.

Xay B. said...

Nice post.

Que The Lights
QTL Images